Monday, June 3, 2019

Happy 7th Birthday, Granty!


HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GRANTY!

It’s hard to believe that Grant would be seven years-old today.  In my mind, I constantly run through various ‘what-if’ scenarios, and one common denominator in each scenario is a vivacious and gregarious little boy.  Although the void associated with the loss of Grant continues to be absolutely gutting, I continue to find solace in the perpetual evidence of the impact of his life.  I cannot ever understand why this happened, but I am a firm believer that things happen for a reason.  Grant’s life undoubtedly made me a better person and improved my life in ways I never imagined.

I see the impact that Grant has upon the personalities and characters within Alexa and Ani.  Alexa is a strong-willed and determined girl – a lot like myself, but she possesses a sense of compassion and empathy that I would love to have in myself.  I am sure the latter traits were developed during the time she spent with Grant, as she had to learn at a very young age about the implications of a sick sibling and the extra care that was required.  Even at the age of three years-old, I distinctly recall that Alexa NEVER complained about the attention Grant received; she understood and ensured that she too provided him extra attention and care.  Through photos and videos, Alexa is able to ‘remember’ Granty, and I’m sure she will continue to share these memories for the rest of her life.  She’s already decided one day her future son will have the name Grant – likely as a middle name – in honor of her beloved baby brother.  It’s nice to know his legacy may continue for generations.

Although Ani never met Grant – a fact that she finds very frustrating at times – she holds him in the same high regard as Alexa.  Ani has an energy level that is unsurpassed and has a no-nonsense firecracker personality.  Grant too had amazing energy – his legs were always moving, something that the oncologist confirmed was ‘just him’ and not a result of the tumor – that would be most certainly give Ani a run for her money.  Ani’s a tough, little fighter, and she seems to take challenges in stride.  She’s undergone countless tests to ensure there’s not an underlying issue for her small stature, yet she doesn’t complain and actually seems looks forward to her appointments at Phoenix Children’s Hospital.  She has no idea how much her positive attitude helps me, especially when we’ve made trips to a few of the departments like Radiology for which I have not so pleasant memories etched in my mind.

I also have some wonderful friends and family who continue to provide me love, support and wonderful remembrances of Grant.  This past weekend I had the amazing experience to participate in a six-person 82-mile relay comprised of two sisters – Karen and Terri – and three amazing girlfriends – Molly, Kathryn and Sara.  Molly knows Grant’s birthday, and she took the initiative to name our team ‘Grant’s Warriors’ in his honor.  It was extra motivation for me to do well during my legs of the relay, and I was overcome with emotion when Kathryn suggested we raise our water bottles in a toast for his seventh birthday after we completed the relay.  I could not have asked for a more meaningful day and better experience than the one I had with my sisters and girlfriends.  I am very lucky.

Ani’s version of heaven is comprised of Granty, Alstott and Mr. Bill (our wonderful neighbor who passed away late last year).  In that perspective, Grant is in a really good place…..


Our birthday tradition - a black & white Sprinkles cupcake -
was a little sweeter this year with the Blues' Game 4 win!
I could not ask for better sisters and friends - Grant's Warriors!
(Karen, Terri, myself, Kathryn, Sara, Molly)



No comments:

Post a Comment