Reminders of Grant span well-beyond the stuffed giraffes scatted throughout the house. On our way home from swim practice tonight, Alexa was asking me whether the Elf on the Shelf would be making its annual appearance soon. Although the nightly placement of the Elf is kind of a pain, I always look forward to having a greater power than I....the threat of Santa...to help enforce some of the right behaviors. I happily responded that it was Elf season, but quickly a much more pressing dilemma than good behavior struck Alexa; the seemingly androgynous nature of our Elf began to trouble her. Our Elf wears a skirt (I think it even has pierced ears), but Alexa name him/her Granty when my friend Linda sent us it as a gift in 2012. During the next five minutes of the drive, Alexa contemplating changing the name, using Grant as its last name - candidates included Katie Elizabeth Grant and Elizabeth Jewel Grant - but ultimately she decided she just couldn't abandon the name Granty. She even rejected my proposal to change it to Grantie (I thought it may be more feminine), saying she needed to leave the Elf named after her brother...even if it is a girl elf.
Nothing makes me happier to know the memory of Grant will continue to live through Alexa. She talks about Grant on a regular basis, tells people her brother is three and continues to remind me that I have three, not two, kids when people ask. In fact, she's already narrowed down her dating and marriage pool substantially, as she has informed me on numerous occasions that the boy she will marry has to be named Grant. I could see that likely changing, but if Alexa ever has a son of her own, I would be willing to bet he will be named in honor of her beloved baby brother. The bond of these siblings, despite the brevity of their time together, is undeniable and an example for all of us.
| Caught playing with the herd (Ani said the one laying down was going 'night night'); Even Alstott gets into the action. |
| Kisses all around! |
No comments:
Post a Comment