Thursday, November 26, 2015

Thankful

I stopped updating the blog last year – coincidentally on Ani’s six-month birthday – because I knew my work commitments at the time were going to make it a challenge to update the blog on a regular cadence.  However, as I have gone through the past year and a half, I realized that my blog updates were a therapeutic outlet for me.  The blog updates reminded me to appreciate everything I have in my life and also to recognize the impact and influence of my little guy upon it.  Yesterday, on the three year anniversary of Grant’s death, it hit me like a ton of bricks that I still need this outlet; I miss him so much.  I can't guarantee daily updates, but I will do my best to make frequent posts.

Thanksgiving is a very bittersweet holiday for me that is forever associated with the sadness of the 2012 celebration at Phoenix Children's Hospital.  I have been travelling a ton for work lately, so a low-key celebration in Scottsdale was the perfect way to spend the day.  Wildfish (Damon's restaurant) was open for the holiday, so it provided an ideal solution for our family dinner.  I was happy to abandon the idea of cooking since I returned from Tijuana around 10:30pm Wednesday night - not to mention cooking is not my forte whatsoever.

Thanksgiving dinner was exactly what I expected with my two girls - quick and messy, but a very enjoyable time.  Ani really liked the cranberry sauce, but by the end of dinner, it appears she was using them as an edible finger paint.  Since there's a Costco pumpkin pie in our refrigerator at home, Alexa selected a Godiva chocolate cake for our dessert...so much for tradition.  Needless to say, by the time we were ready to leave the restaurant, Ani was a mess of chocolate and cranberry and Alexa was practically licking her plate to enjoy every last bit of chocolate.  A good Thanksgiving dinner by all accounts.

I look forward to resuming the blog posts, a constant reminder of how truly fortunate I am.  There is not a day that goes by without a reminder of Grant and the influence he's had upon our lives.  His two spitfire sisters have the same tenacious spirit he demonstrated in his life, and I am sure he's proudly looking down upon all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving!


Thanksgiving @ Wildfish.
Sisterly love.
I captured this candid shot as the girls watched the Macy's parade this am...hand-in-hand :)

4 comments:

  1. You were on my mind all day on Wednesday. So glad you'll keep the blog going! Love to you all! Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so excited to see the Granty Google alert in my email box today.
    Grant and the link are the homepage of my laptop and it is my ritual to check back to the same day the years prior. Your humor and posts always lift my spirits and it is a way for me to start my day in a centered place- always balancing home and work.
    As I was reminded of my Facebook post "our angel has his wings..." the other morning I was balling before even getting out of bed, however, that quickly changed to joy as I reflected on your journey and the memories and life events for our family since. I still believe Grandma and Granty and our other relative that have passed on are our little angels guiding us daily.
    Today we make our anual contribution the PCH. The boys share half of their allowance with the charity. We have a jar with yellow and brown polka dots the boys store their collections. I am excited to share with you Ben and Joey saved $402 this year! - Kevin and I will match dollar for dollar. It has become part of our holiday tradition along with Toys for Tots.
    We are thinking of you and love you! Big hugs and kisses to the girls.

    Love
    Erica, Kevin, Ben and Joe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome back! I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete