Monday, June 23, 2014

Summer On

I received a call from my brother early this morning, and as soon as I heard my phone ring shortly after 6am AZ time, I knew exactly what the news would be.  Summer, the inspirational friend who gave Granty his beloved giraffe lovie, passed away this morning after her hard-fought battle with cancer.  Over the past few days, Steve and my sister-in-law Carolyn had been keeping me abreast of the latest updates, and her final battle shared many parallels to Grant's.  As much as my heart aches for her family, I know the odd sense of peace they feel to know that Summer is in a better place.

Cancer may ravage a body, but it seems to have an opposite effect upon the human spirit.  I remember one of the infusion nurses who administered chemo to Granty saying that working with cancer patients was the most humbling and awe-inspiring work she ever did, as the "never quit" attitude of the patients is what motivated her to come to work each day and try to be a better person.  I can't think of anyone who embodied that attitude more than Summer.  "Keep Calm and Summer On" became her tagline, and she even inspired the declaration of June 6th as Pay It Forward Day in Bloomingdale, IL (http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20140607/news/140608782/).  These random acts of kindness are a befitting legacy for an amazing woman who affected so many people, myself included, with her genuine acts of kindness.

Tonight as Alexa and I sat down to dinner, she asked me how my friend Summer was doing.  Alexa knew my friend Summer was sick, but her question tonight was out of the blue.  Death is not a taboo topic with Alexa, so I told her that I was sad because Summer died this morning.  Alexa didn't skip a beat and said, "It's okay because she gets to be with Granty now.  I think they'll have fun together."  Once again, Alexa - a consummate optimist - continues to put things in perspective for me.

Even with the sadness I feel, it gives me a little more peace to know that Summer's up there with Granty now....kindred spirits who shared a zest for life and leave behind long-standing legacies.  And I'm sure Alexa's right - they probably are having fun together :)


1 comment:

  1. I also was very saddened to hear of Summer's passing, even though I never did meet Grant or Summer they have been in our thoughts and prayers daily. I had just facebooked Carolyn last week to let her know that all through the month of June on Wednesday and Thursday were RAKO, they will now be every opportunity I have to do something in both Granty and Summer's memory. Love Always, Joanne

    ReplyDelete