Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Emergency Surgery

Last night Alstott left his dinner untouched, so I immediately knew something was wrong again.  He had a little more pep than post-DumDums, but the lack of appetite, coupled with a few instances of vomiting, did not bode well for Alstott.  Damon took him to the vet this morning, and the initial x-rays showed some sort of obstruction in his stomach and large intestine.  The vet did not have any surgery slots available today, so Damon left work tonight to take him back to the animal hospital.  After an ultrasound, it was determined that Alstott needed emergency surgery to remove the obstruction, hoping there is no additional damage to the intestines.  So our beloved puggle is in surgery tonight, as Damon and I anxiously await word from the surgeon on his condition as well as detail of what exactly Alstott ingested to cause the obstruction.

As I drove home from work tonight, I could only think about Alstott and the nine years I've had with this little guy.  He's obnoxious and not exactly the most well-mannered pup (we flunked out of PetSmart Puppy Training), but he somehow is the most loveable dog...he's even forced non-dog lovers to come around!  One image of Alstott stuck in my mind - - I remember how he laid by the closed door of Granty's room with his head on the floor after Granty passed away.  I honestly think he was sad just like the rest of us....  The thought of him by the bedroom door brought me to tears; he is one loyal dog.

I was very nervous to tell Alexa about Alstott; she absolutely adores him and prior experiences with hospitals haven't exactly been good.  She seemed to understand the surgery, and immediately began to think of things to bring to him in the hospital.  When we came home from swimming lessons tonight (make-up class), I set dinner on the table but Alexa was nowhere to be found.  I finally looked in the office, and she was curled up in the desk chair just staring at a picture of Alstott.

We obviously are going to do everything possible for Alstott - - this dog is part of our family!  Our fingers are crossed, and I'm already trying to think of ways to Alstott-proof the house for his return.

Alstott was always by Granty's side....my two boys ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment