Sunday, April 27, 2014

The Praying Sticks

It's always interesting to see what Alexa manages to stash in the car for entertainment - apparently conversations with mom aren't all that thrilling.  I think she takes advantage of me being distracted with Ani to bring some of the most random stuff she can find: dolls she hasn't played with in years, a pinwheel, gaudy jewelry, etc...  Yesterday as I helped her out of the car after tennis lessons, I found two pieces of her Pinklets set, essentially TinkerToys for girls, and I was ready to bring them into the house when she grabbed my hand and said, "No!!!  Leave those there....those are my praying sticks for Granty!"  Sure enough, I looked at the Pinklets and realized the rod and connector formed the shape of a cross.  This wasn't the first time I have heard Alexa mention praying sticks - aka a cross - and her immediate association with Granty.

Last Saturday when I was getting the supplies for dying Easter eggs, Alexa was taking inventory of the ridiculous amount of decorations I had for the activity.  Thanks some leftover and new Paas kits, I had a variety of sequins, glitter glue, crayons, paints and stickers for the 3+ dozen eggs I hard-boiled (each kid had a dozen to dye).  As Alexa looked at the collection of stickers, she pulled out the card with the religious stickers and said, "I'm going to make a prayer stick egg for Granty."  Awww....as usual, Alexa knows how to make me smile with her talk of Granty.  I love how much she thinks about him, and I thought it was especially sweet that she was ready to make an egg in his honor.  It is interesting to see how the image of a cross immediately evokes thoughts of Granty, likely the result of trips to church and the cemetery to celebrate his life.

Normally I cannot wait to throw away the dyed Easter eggs; hard-boiled eggs completely gross me out.  Honestly, I don't think I have ever kept the eggs past Easter Sunday evening - there's no eating the eggs in the Hovey house.  However, this year, I have been a little slower than normal to toss Alexa's dozen in the garbage.  The sight of the little blue egg makes me very happy...I just have to hold my breath to get past the smell.

And yes, her use of the term "praying sticks" instead of cross probably means we need to get her enrolled in Sunday School in the very near-future.   At least her heart and thoughts are in the right place!

Alexa's "praying stick" egg for Granty....
with a few other random stickers :)

1 comment:

  1. SO PERFECT!!! She nevers ceases to amaze us. Love, Mike & Joanne

    ReplyDelete