Sunday, March 23, 2014

Added Meaning

Although this weekend was busy and filled with a lot of fun activities, I have had a very heavy heart, as one of my mom's younger brothers, my Uncle Mike, passed away on Friday night.  I have been in frequent contact with my mom to check on her, as well as to find out how my Aunt Joyce and cousins are holding up.  This morning I went to the website of the St. Louis newspaper to read his obituary, and I could only smile when I read one of the causes for which donations were requested - - The St. Louis Zoo.

The St. Louis Zoo has always had a special meaning to me, one that has only grown over the past two years.  Growing up in a family of five kids, the zoo was one of the few places that satisfied everyone...I don't ever recall any arguments (except maybe which exhibit to see first) when The Niehoffs went to the zoo.  Led by my father's frugality, we would always arrive early, not only for the prime (free) street parking, but also to make sure we could take advantage of the waived admission fees to the Children's Zoo within one hour of the zoo opening.  My parents would make sure everyone was able to see their favorite animal and exhibit, mine being the elephants.  No one even complained when a visit to the elephants required going into the foul-smelling Elephant House!

Animals were not the only highlight of the zoo, as my Uncle Mike worked at the zoo (I believe in the Facilities Department) for a number of years, so seeing him was also a must-do for each visit.  If we didn't see him as we toured the animal exhibits, we would always make sure to stop inside The Living World before leaving the zoo, as that building usually provided an Uncle Mike-sighting.  The visits were always brief, but seeing him became synonymous with a trip to the zoo.

When I decided to adopt a giraffe in honor of Granty, it was a no-brainer that it would be at my beloved St. Louis Zoo.  No visit to St. Louis is complete without a trip to the zoo to see Granty's giraffes, and I love that Alexa and Ani will have fond, meaningful memories of visits to the zoo.  Visits will be even more special now, as the memory of Uncle Mike is also ingrained in the St. Louis Zoo.  I'm sure Granty's giraffes will have some very well-maintained digs inside The Antelope House thanks to my Uncle Mike :)

Priceless memories of the St. Louis Zoo...
our private tour & giraffe feeding session (Dec'12).


2 comments:

  1. So does your favorite animals to see now go something like this...1) Giraffe; 2) Naked Mole Rats; 3) Elephants. Haha!!

    Love,
    Joe Pagano

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our condolences to you, mom, dad and Niehoff family in the passing of Uncle Mike. Visits to the zoo always remind us of "Granty." Now, however, zoo visits will rekindle memories of an uncle, brother, husband and father who will sorely be missed.
    With Sympathy, Vernon and Carol

    ReplyDelete