Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Happy Birthday, Alexa!

Happy 5th Birthday, Alexa!!

Although it seems like we have been celebrating for weeks, today marked Alexa's actual birthday, and as with most days, it was chock-full of activities.  This morning was Morning with Mom (or Dad) at her school, so Alexa was able to bring me to school with early this morning (7:15am) and show me some of her favorite lessons at school.  She was so excited to have me there, and I just smiled as she bounced from lesson-to-lesson to try to show me everything she could in the 45 minutes I was there.  This afternoon I picked her up prior to Aftercare, so Alexa was thrilled that she was able to participate in afternoon carline...a very rare occurrence.  Shortly after her pick-up from school, I dropped her off for a two-hour gymnastics class.  Needless to say, by the time gymnastics ended, she was pretty wiped out.  She convinced me to indulge her on her birthday by letting her have a chicken nugget Happy Meal for dinner (at least it came with apples and milk!) in addition to her birthday cupcake....you only turn five once!  After the day of jam-packed activity, Alexa did not protest when I ushered her to bed tonight at 8 o'clock; she was sleeping soundly by 8:01.

I am truly blessed to have Alexa as a daughter and cherish the unique relationship we share.  In many ways, she's a mini-me, as I don't have to think too hard to imagine what I was like at her age.  I admire her spunk, vivacious personality, quick-wit and seemingly boundless energy.  She never ceases to entertain me - - like when we walked into Kohl's (a place we don't go too often), and Alexa sized-up the mannequins at the front of the store, something rather rare in retail these days.  Without skipping a beat, Alexa said in her phony prim & proper voice, "Oh, hello girls."  I could not stop laughing as we made our way to the back of the store; only Alexa would chat it up with mannequins.

For being only five years-old, Alexa seemingly has some life experiences well-beyond her years.  She's lived in three states (California, New Jersey and Arizona), amassed more frequent flier miles than I had in my first 25 years and endured an inconceivable loss that hopefully most people will never experience.  I don't think Alexa will ever be able to grasp the role that she has played in my life, especially during the past two years.  I truly do not know what I would have done without Alexa at my side.  She has been a consummate source of joy and helped me to attain a perspective upon life that I would never have conjured on my own.  Alexa has been my rock...quite an impressive role for a girl just turning five today.

Happy 5th Birthday to one remarkable little girl!

I had better save this post for the days when I get frustrated with her...lol.

Celebrating the momentous occasion (again).
Including little sister Ani in the celebration.

No comments:

Post a Comment