Over the past few weeks, I had become pretty lax about preparing Alexa for school the night before, so I made sure to get back into the swing of things last night. In addition to packing Alexa's lunch and selecting her outfit (sadly she has no green clothes, but she does have green hair clips!), I prepared enough bottles to last Ani through the day. It was strange to prepare bottles for childcare - - I hadn't done it since Alexa was an infant at the Montessori school in New Jersey! In accord with the new routine, I left the house around 7am, leaving the drop-off duties to Damon. He affirmed how tough it was to leave Ani behind, but Alexa, who was beaming with pride to have her baby sister attending school with her, accompanied him through the process.
We are trying to ease Ani (and ourselves!) into childcare mode, by gradually ramping the hours she spends away from us during the first few weeks. I made it until around noon before I was itching to pick up Ani; however, I reminded myself that she was in capable hands and stayed at the office until 2:30 like I originally planned. I felt like a first-time parent when I arrived at the classroom and eagerly awaited the teacher's feedback of Ani's first day. Apparently Ani did amazingly well, as the lead teacher commented that it seemed like she had been in the classroom for weeks instead of hours. Whew...I felt so relieved to hear that! Ani must have been busy taking in her new surroundings, as I have never seen her nap so soundly in the afternoon. Tonight she was grinning and laughing, a very good sign of a happy girl.
This little girl has me completely smitten. For the first time, I seriously contemplated not going back to work to stay at home with the little peanut. I never envisioned myself enjoying 10-weeks away from work like I enjoyed this maternity leave with Ani. However, I know myself way too well; I need the challenge of work and constant activity. Besides, my Target bills would be out of control if I had 8-hours a day to shop there ;)
| Yawn! Wiped out after her first day of 'school' |
Connie, I'm so glad Ani was an angel at school. What a relief knowing she is in good hands not only at home but also at school. Love, Joanne
ReplyDelete