Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dance Party

Aside from a residual cough (she sounds like a baby smoker) and nasal congestion, Ani is on the mend.  Her happy disposition returned pretty quickly so that was a very welcome change.  I expect that everything will be back to normal by the weekend....a much-anticipated long weekend for me!

Over the past few days, we have begun a new trend at the Hovey house - a nightly dance party!  I had grown very tired of hearing the Frozen ballad "Let It Go" and was desperate to hear some non-Frozen songs.  The inspiration came as Alexa and I were driving, and the Kris Kross song "Jump" was playing on the XM 90's on 9 station.  I started to laugh and told Alexa that the song was popular when I was in 8th grade and high school, and I told her how people would jump around whenever the song was played at school dances.  Of course, I had to pull up the video on YouTube when we returned home, and as Alexa tried to mimic the dancers in the video, the dance party was born.

I promised Alexa that I would find one song a night to use for our dance party, preferably something that was popular when I was young.  She's definitely entertained by the now dated songs of Vanilla Ice, Kris Kross, etc...  I pulled out the MC Hammer a few nights ago, but she was less than impressed by "Can't Touch This."  However "Everybody Dance Now" by C+C Music Factory fit the bill of the musicality (or lack thereof) and humor Alexa's come to expect.  I'm going to have to go to the Billboard Charts from the late 80's and early 90's to continue to the trend of one song a night.  As embarrassing as it is for me, it is entertaining to watch Alexa have to much fun at my expense.

Even Ani partakes in the action, waving her arms excitedly when Alexa's jumping around the playroom.  If this trend is going to continue into Ani's youth, I think the cadence will have to switch to once every few weeks to make sure I can find a new song each time.  It's harder than I expected, especially since I have to pre-screen the lyrics of each song :)  Who knows?  Maybe everything old will become cool again, and Alexa will have a head-start on everyone.  Lol - Not likely; I don't see Vanilla Ice making a comeback.

The Dance Party Queen....
sporting crazy hair (sort of early 90's) for Spirit Week.


2 comments: