Saturday, May 24, 2014

Lounging Poolside

The teachers of the Infant Classroom are always amazed at the amount of sleep Ani gets during the day...I think she must be resting up for the weekend, because I have never encountered a sleepy Ani on the weekends - - she's a party girl!  She took a nap from 8-9:30 am and fell asleep for about an hour as we ran some errands after swimming today, but those brief naps were all the rest she needed until bedtime at 8pm.  I'm not complaining, as she kept her normal happy disposition throughout the day, but I thought Alexa was going to get an ulcer worrying that Ani's lack of nap could cost her an afternoon of swimming.

Fear not, Alexa.  I did a little rearranging of the patio umbrella and created a shaded area, and I brought Ani outside in the monkey seat to enjoy an afternoon poolside.  She's still too you for sunscreen, but I did change her into a bathing suit - a hot pink bikini (a little big, of course) - since she was lounging by the pool.  She sat happily in the bouncer, watching Alexa and I splash around in the pool and chewing on Sophie the Giraffe.  After about 90 minutes, she started to get a little fussy, but it was perfect timing, as the sky had become overcast.  It was time for Ani to join us in the pool!

I took off her cover-up and hat and brought her into the pool, not sure what reaction to expect.  She looked a little startled at first, but once she saw Alexa laughing with glee, Ani burst into a big grin and started kicking her feet.  She absolutely loved it as I held her and let her 'swim' around the water for awhile.  I could not believe how comfortable she seemed, kicking her legs and moving her arms; she didn't even flinch when her face skimmed the water.  Unfortunately the sun reemerged so Ani's swim was cut short, but I think swim lessons for Ani are on my to-do list.

As much fun as we had in the pool today, it was slightly bittersweet to see Ani swim for the first time.  Swimming was one thing that I was sure Granty would love, but the broviac port in his chest prevented him from ever experiencing it.  I'm hoping he will continue to impart his love of water upon his little sister and ensure we never have hellacious swim lessons like we experienced with Alexa...I definitely don't want to endure that again :)

Enjoying a nice swim on a beautiful Saturday afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. So happy to hear Ani loves the water. The three of you look like you are having a great time. I met Andy and Stef and the kids at Whitecliff pool on Sunday and Lord help us Graham has no fear of water. I told Stef and Andy both you have your work cut out for you. Maddie and Kenna both swim like Alexa so at least there is some satisfaction knowing they are great swimmers. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete