Friday, May 16, 2014

Throwback to NJ

Yesterday a friend from my days at Volvo was in Phoenix for business, and thankfully we were able to get together for dinner last night before she flew back to New Jersey early today.  It was wonderful to see Linda, as she had truly been like family to Damon, Alexa and me during our East Coast stint.  Some of our fondest memories of NJ are centered around Rick and Linda, and I know Damon always appreciated the homemade Italian feasts that Linda prepared - - definitely not our usual Ragu.

It was the first time Linda had seen our family in three years, and, needless to say, a lot has happened in those three years.  Linda had been a part of Alexa's childhood from 2 months-old to just shy of 2 years-old, and she was understandably in shock over how much Alexa has grown since then.  The toddler who loved to play in her cat's bed (the cat despised Alexa) is now a spitfire five year-old!  Alexa wasted no time in warming back up to her, immediately asking, "Will you play with me?" as soon as we walked in the door.  Within a few minutes, Alexa and Linda were on their hands and knees, drawing masterpieces with chalk on the sportcourt.  Alexa put on quite the performance for Linda, employing everything from her "Oh, darling!" prim & proper lady routine to our Cirque de Hovey acrobatics.

Ani, being her normal happy and chatty self, had Linda's heart instantly.  I had to laugh when her first words were, "Oh my gosh.  You weren't kidding; she is a little peanut."  Don't let the pictures deceive you; the camera definitely adds a few pounds (or ounces).  I think it brought Linda back five years, as the physical similarities between Alexa and Ani are undeniable.  Even their personalities are very similar; Ani's a bit more laid-back but even more active than Alexa was as a baby.  Ani warmed up to Linda instantly and was very happy to be relaxing in her arms as the night wore on.  Ani was smiling and laughing the entire night until I put her in bed around 9:30 without so much as a peep.  She truly is a ridiculously easy baby!
 
While Damon and Alexa prepped the ice cream cake for dessert, Linda and I were chatting on the patio and our conversation turned to Granty.  I used to take advantage of the time difference between here and New Jersey to call Linda as I drove to and from the hospital very early in the morning; I have distinct memories of so many of our conversations.  After experiencing the lowest of lows with me, it was nice to be able to show her firsthand that we are doing okay and have found happiness again.  Linda even witnessed Alexa's steadfast love and dedication to Granty as they colored with chalk together.  Linda asked Alexa something about Ani, and Alexa proudly told her that she has both a little brother and a little sister.  Alexa's statement resonated with Linda, and I restated my belief that there was truly some incredible bond between a three year-old little girl and her very special baby brother.

My conversation with Linda about Granty was relatively short but pretty intense.  As I drove home from dropping off Linda at her hotel, which coincidentally was the same route to Phoenix Children's Hospital, my mind was entirely focused upon Granty.  I have come to realize my heart will always be heavy - the loss of a child is something from which you never fully recover.  However, I have quickly learned - thanks in large part to Alexa - to make the best of things and find new joys to celebrate....knowing nothing will ever replace Granty.  Last night reaffirmed that we have made the best of things, and I know Linda was thrilled to be here in-person to see me smile.

One added benefit of last night's visit was a renewed desire to go back to the East Coast that I loved so much....just for a visit.  The first thing Alexa asked when I picked her up from school was "When are we going to go to New Jersey and New York so I can see Linda and play in the cat bed like I did when I was a baby?"  I have a feeling Alexa will need a little more than a cat bed to keep her entertained, but I'm looking forward to a trip East, hopefully before the end of the year!  

Ready to make Ani a Jersey Girl (at least for a couple days!) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment