Sunday marked eighteen months since Granty's passing....it's hard to believe. I feel like it has been forever since I've had my little guy in my arms, but my memories of his nearly six-months of life are some of the most crystal-clear thoughts I have. He continues to be on my mind constantly, and my mind undoubtedly wanders to Granty if I actually have moments of downtime. I cannot count the number of weepy commutes I've had in the past eighteen months, as the time in the car is oftentimes some of the only downtime I have all day.
As this sad anniversary passes, it's also tough to know that his second birthday is fast-approaching next Tuesday. Alexa has been excitedly planning Granty's birthday celebration this year, making sure that she will be able to blow out his candles for him. Tonight she informed me that she thinks the Cardinals will hit a lot of home runs on Granty's birthday, so that we can help sick kids that day (she knows we enrolled in the Homers for Health program that donates to Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital each time the Cardinals hit a home run). I really don't know where I would be without Alexa - - she continues to put things in perspective in a way that I could never contrive. She's turning what could be a very sad day into a celebration and perpetuation of Granty's legacy. The past few years have made her a very old soul in a vivacious five year-old's body.
The sad reminders of Granty pale in comparison to some crushing news we've received about our friend Summer, who has been ferociously battling cancer. She and her family have made the difficult (a major understatement) decision to cease treatments and make the most of life. Summer is truly one of the most inspirational people I know, and I was lucky enough to establish a unique bond with her during our ordeals with Granty. She always knew exactly when to send the perfect text message, care package, e-mail, etc... to check in on Granty and us. Her constant positive attitude, coupled with a great sense of humor, despite some terrible circumstances served as a model that I have tried to emulate. The personalized giraffe blankie, a gift from Summer and her family, was one of the key items that kick-started the giraffe trend for Granty. I will never forget the PCH doctor's comments that it was very unusual to see an infant so young attached to something like Grant was to that giraffe blankie. The blankie was a source of comfort for Grant, but it evolved into a source of comfort for all of us. It was perfectly fitting that Granty would become attached to a gift from Summer....two ferocious fighters.
Please keep Summer and her family in your prayers, as I know we all continue to hope and pray for a miracle.
| Checking out his beloved giraffe blankie.... |
Connie, we cannot imagine how difficult this week will be for you and your family. Please know that all of you are constantly in our thoughts and prayers. Special prayers will be said for Granty on his "2nd" Birthday and please know that Summer is also in our prayers. Loving thoughts to you and the family, Love, Michael & Joanne
ReplyDelete