Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Roly Poly

I need to get used to having an infant in the house again...my parenting skills seem to have gotten a little rusty over the past few years.

The floors in our home are predominantly travertine and hard wood, not exactly kid-friendly, so when Ani has floor time, it's usually on her bedroom floor or on a foam mat in the family room.  On Sunday, Alexa wanted to help me shuck corn-on-the-cob, so I placed Ani stomach-down in the middle of the foam mat (it's pretty sizable) and worked with Alexa in the kitchen to have a perfect vantage point of Ani.  I made the mistake of taking my eyes off of Ani for probably 30-seconds, and I looked up to find her laying on her back on the travertine.  Oops.  Thankfully she was still her normal happy self, smiling at the ceiling and not even making a peep as she landed on the hard floor.

It's kind of a bittersweet phase right now, as I'm starting to encounter a lot of experiences that I haven't had since Alexa was a baby five years ago.  Right now, Ani is the same age that Granty was when we received the dreaded cancer diagnosis.  Granty rolled over very early; he had just turned two months-old when he rolled over for the first time.  Unfortunately, his floor time became much more limited after his hospitalization and subsequent insertion of an ng tube, as a wheeled metal pole became his constant companion.  As much as I love to see Ani roll around and explore everything she can, it is impossible not to reminisce and wish that Granty could have had those same experiences.

As I laid Ani in bed tonight, I said a little prayer to Granty, making sure he continues to take care of all of us.  In very Granty-esque fashion, Ani began flailing her leg wildly - Grant's signature characteristic - despite being in a pretty sound sleep.  Maybe Granty will be getting those experiences afterall....just through his little sis.

The little Roly Poly...she's always in motion!

No comments:

Post a Comment