Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Change of Plans

Although I'm very excited about Baby #3's arrival, there are some definite downsides to having a baby in January....the reset of medical benefits and deductibles, trying to juggle preparation for the arrival in the midst of the holiday season, and no travel for me this Christmas.  The latter is the biggest downside for me, but doctor's orders prohibit me from traveling so close to my due date.

With both families out of town, Damon and I have adopted a rotational schedule and travel every year to St. Louis or Fresno for the Christmas holiday.  We've never had a Christmas Eve or Christmas Day morning with "just us", so this will be an entirely new experience this Christmas.  Alexa and I will have Christmas Eve dinner at Wildfish (hopefully Damon can sit down to join us), but I was searching for something else special to do with Alexa on Christmas Eve to substitute the normal family festivities.  I found what I think will be the perfect activity - - a matinee show of Ballet Arizona and Phoenix Symphony's production of "The Nutcracker."

I was very excited to share the plans with Alexa, as I have very fond memories of attending "The Nutcracker" with my godparents at Powell Symphony Hall in St. Louis when I was young.  I'll never forget when they took me to T.G.I Friday's and treated me to a virgin strawberry daiquiri (my first) after the show....life was good for an eight year-old :)  Alexa's enthusiasm grew as I showed her pictures from the ballet company's website and explained the storyline to her.  However, I think her Halloween costume went straight to her head, as Alexa declared, "And I can wear my tutu and dance on the stage too!!!"  Umm...not exactly, but I do admire her enthusiasm.  Although I wish we could be with our extended family on the 24th, I think we have a pretty good plan for Christmas Eve and should enjoy our time together.

Holiday travel is usually my excuse for not going all-out and decorating the house for Christmas, so my travel restriction has taken away the rationale for not decorating.  I have a feeling Alexa and I will be very busy decorating the house in early December.....

There won't be any snow this Christmas, but we'll make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment