Thursday, November 14, 2013

Wiped Out

Late this morning, my phone rang during a meeting, and I looked down to see Alexa's teacher calling me...it's usually not a good sign when the teacher is calling me in the middle of the school day.  I nervously answered the phone, and Alexa's teacher informed me that Alexa was not being her normal self today - - trying to take a nap, resting her head on the table, wanting to stay inside during playground time....very un-Alexa behavior.  Thankfully she didn't have a temperature, but I left the office to go pick her up.  We have a wedding in Fresno this weekend, and the last thing I need is a sick Alexa for the trip.

Never one to shy away from dramatics, Alexa sighed and complained, "I'm so sick..." as we made our way home from school.  However, as soon as she saw our cleaning lady's car in the driveway, she perked up and wanted to help Ms. Elizabeth while she cleaned.  Wait a minute.....for a girl who was supposedly sick, she suddenly had a ton of energy.  For the next hour or so, she ran around the house (while I attempted to keep her out of Elizabeth's way), drew pictures for Elizabeth and looked at some of the Christmas toy catalogs we have received in the mail.

I was starting to think Alexa had pulled a clever ruse on her teacher and me, but I corralled her into her bedroom and closed her blackout curtains.  Within a couple of minutes, she (and Alstott) were fast asleep on her bed and slept for a couple of hours.  She woke up completely rejuvenated and showed no signs of being sick.  Whew!

Although I appreciated her two hour nap this afternoon (I was on conference calls the entire time), payback came tonight, as she is still running around the house and playing pretend at 9pm.  I wish I could take a nap now!

Trying to catch some zzz's mid-lesson....
I feel like doing this at my desk every afternoon!
(Photo from Alexa's teacher)

No comments:

Post a Comment