Saturday, November 9, 2013

Making a Splash

I have been searching for something different to do with Alexa today, and I stumbled across something I thought she might enjoy - - an Arizona State University swimming and diving meet.  Today's meet was small, featuring only ASU, UCLA and Air Force (men only), so I figured it was the perfect opportunity to introduce Alexa to the sport and see if it was something she enjoyed.  

I am pretty sure this will not be the only meet we will attend this year; we had a great time!  The ASU Aquatic Center is outdoors, so it was a little warm sitting in the desert sun, but thankfully we had prepared and brought our water bottles and sunscreen.  I had never been to a collegiate swim meet, and I could not believe how efficient and fast-paced the meet was conducted - - there was constant activity.  Swimmers for the next race were already on the blocks before the current racers were out of the water.  Meanwhile, the diving competition was happening simultaneously, so there was never a lapse in the action.  Pretty impressive!  Alexa enjoyed the sprint races - - especially the freestyle and backstroke (the two strokes she has learned) - - and the diving.  She loved the flips and spirals of the diving, although she liked the dives more when the divers missed their entrances into the water and made huge splashes...not exactly consistent with the scores, but she enjoyed it nevertheless.  I'm not sure if it was the heat or the excitement of the competition, but Alexa commented more than once, "I wish I was in the pool with them."

As we left the meet, Alexa informed me that she is going to be on the swim team when she's in college.  However, her ambition does not stop there....according to her, she'll also be on the gymnastics and tennis teams.  She'll be one busy girl, but I don't think her extracurricular activities will interfere with the curriculum for her major - she informed me she wants to be a jaguar when she grows up.  :)  

Enjoying the action while sporting Mommy's sunglasses.

No comments:

Post a Comment