Saturday, November 2, 2013

Tough Student

Whenever the Olympics or professional sports are on television, it's always interesting to see the stories of a parent acting as a child's coach....I can guarantee that will not be the situation for Alexa and myself.

Tonight Alexa, who is still in ballerina mode from Halloween, wanted to play dance school, and she asked me to be the instructor.  I was more than happy to oblige, as this is much more up my alley than playing 'Top Chef' with her.  I'm not a ballet expert by any means, but I do know the basics - including the five positions of ballet, so I thought that would be the perfect lesson as we played dance school.  My lessons lasted maybe five minutes before Alexa got frustrated, at both herself and me, and decided she did not want me to be her teacher anymore.  She was not too happy when I would correct her or re-position her feet when they were not pointing in the right direction.  After she ditched me as her dance teach, she pranced around the house and sashayed her hips to her own rhythm....definitely not ballet, but she was having a good time.

We've had similar experiences when I have tried to teach her gymnastics and basic academic lessons, so I wasn't too surprised.  I think she's too much like me in many aspects - she's a total perfectionist.  Poor thing.  Of all of my traits to inherit... :)

Mommy's Ballet School was short-lived....I'll leave her instruction to the pros.






No comments:

Post a Comment