Needless to say, we had a lot happening last year, something Alexa understood very well (especially for a three year-old), but her disappointment was obvious when I wasn't able to volunteer. I knew I needed to redeem myself this year, and as soon as the sign-up sheets were released, I committed to volunteer at two of the three planned Park Days for the school year.
Alexa flashed me her signature smirk as soon as I entered the classroom, and it look every bit of self-restraint for her not leave her place on the rug and run to me. Her excitement made my day, and the e-mails I knew were building up in my Inbox became the furthest thing from my mind. For the next three hours, I enjoyed watching Alexa interact with her classmates and helped kids out on the monkey bars and zip line (after I assured the teachers I had no restrictions that would prevent me from lifting up the children). The children were pretty exhausted as we made our way back to the school, and the fatigue was further-evidenced when Alexa fell asleep on the couch at 7:30 tonight.
I enjoyed the time I spent with Alexa and her classmates, but I was worn out when I came home to work remotely for the afternoon. I have a new-found respect for teachers - - I don't know how they do it every day!
| Enjoying a trip down the slide. |
No comments:
Post a Comment