Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Quality Time

Today I realized that I took Granty to what would be his final chemotherapy session on this day last year.  I remember all of the details of the day vividly, down to the outfit he was wearing, as it was the first time that the chemo seemed to take its toll upon him.  After the check of his vitals and bloodwork, he slept soundly in my arms during infusion, not even stirring when I moved him from my arms to the infant seat for the drive home.  He even slept through our detour to the grocery store - his last public outing - so I could pick up heavy cream for Alexa to make butter at school.  He was so wiped out, undoubtedly the result of the harsh chemo drugs working their way through his system.

To this day, I still miss my 'Tuesdays with Granty.'  Although the circumstances were dire, it was a bonding experience like I will probably never have again.  His chemo sessions represented a time when I would completely detach from my phone, e-mail, etc... and enjoy the presence of my little boy while I held him in my arms in the infusion chair.  Granty always seemed so peaceful as we sat together, unaware of the hectic pace of the infusion area or the timer dispensing his meds.  This time each Tuesday helped to put life in perspective....I just wish it hadn't taken something so dramatic to insight this outlook.

I'd give anything to have another 'Tuesday with Granty'.....I wouldn't ever trade those hours of holding him in my arms,

My sleepy little boy at his last chemo session....


No comments:

Post a Comment