Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Unfathomable

One year ago today, Damon and I received the worst news we could have ever imagined...Grant's tumor had hemorrhaged and nothing could be done to reverse it.  With the advances and miracles of modern medicine, a prognosis like that seems unimaginable...everyone had been so optimistic about Granty's ability to fight cancer, and I never expected to hear the fight was over.

After an all-nighter of the PICU medical team trying everything within their power to reduce Granty's heart rate and fever, I called Damon that morning and told him to get to the hospital as soon as he could because I had a bad feeling.  Sure enough - the two of us sat in Grant's room and watched his Oncologist review the images from the early morning MRI at the nurses' station.  When I saw the doctor shaking his head in disbelief, I read his lips as he muttered, "Oh my God," and instantly knew.  Even one year later, I still cannot find the words to describe my emotions.  

This month has been, and will continue to be, one of sad anniversaries, but I take solace in knowing that Granty's in a better place.  He is constantly in my thoughts and continues to inspire and motivate me.  I see his trademark tenacity in Alexa, and I have a feeling his little sister will demonstrate the same trait.  He always has and will continue to bring out the best in all of us.

Forever my baby boy.....

2 comments:

  1. It absolutely breaks my heart. He's watching over all of you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still pray for you everyday! Your little boy will forever be watching over all of you

    ReplyDelete