Monday, September 16, 2013

Ice Cream and Books

Unlike most nights when I pick up Alexa from Aftercare and am greeted with, "You're here too early!", I could not get to school fast enough for her this evening.  Tonight was the school's annual Ice Cream Social and Book Fair; she was so excited, you would have thought it was her birthday!

I had discussed the ground rules of the evening with her last night, as I didn't want her to pick out twenty books nor expect to spend hours playing on the playground.  We had decided that I would buy one book for her classroom, two books for her, and, most importantly, one book for her baby sister.  The latter was entirely her suggestion, as I know she was thinking of last year's book fair experience.  I was more than willing to agree to her sweet gesture.

Last year Alexa had selected a race car book for Granty at the school book fair, so her mind was made up that she was going to get a good "girl book" for her newest sibling this year.  Unfortunately the book fair did not have a section of infant board books this year, so Alexa was pretty disappointed not to be able to pick out a book for her baby sister this year.  I reassured her that we would have plenty of time to buy books for the new baby, and I made a promise we would take a trip to Barnes and Noble before the baby is born.

As I watched Alexa on the playground tonight, the memories of last year really struck me.  I had a three-month old Granty strapped in the Baby Bjorn last year, and I was speaking to the teachers in the Infant Room about his planned enrollment at the beginning of October.  It's still hard to believe what happened in just twelve short months.

The race car book is tucked away on a shelf in the closet....it will always be "Granty's book."  It's the perfect reminder of how something seemingly mundane at the time - a sister picking out a book for her baby brother - suddenly became a sweet memory and a lasting reminder of a big sister's love of her beloved Granty.  Always watching out for him....even at a school book fair.  :)

Showing off her bag of books....she is thrilled that she's able to keep these
(unlike the library books that have to be returned).

No comments:

Post a Comment