Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pack Your Knives and Go

Unbeknownst to me, I was a contestant on Alexa's version of "Top Chef" tonight.  As soon as I set her dinner plate at her placesetting, she informed me that she was pretending I was a chef ("pretending" being the key word) and she was the judge of my food.  Apparently Chef Mommy didn't have a good ring to it, so she also changed my name to, what else, but Chef Elizabeth.  Fish tacos were on the dinner menu tonight, so I figured I had a chance of surviving her critique....I would have been hosed had it been my reduced-fat quiche!

Apparently she has seen one too many cooking shows, as the adjectives she used to describe the meal were identical to the ones used on the tv shows.  I was biting my lip not to laugh hysterically, because she was so eager to show off her judging skills and expansive palate.  She described the fish, tilapia pan-seared with a little olive oil and taco seasoning, as "moist and a bit peppery, but with good texture."  The tortilla, which she did not want me to warm in the microwave, garnered a less favorable review - she described it as "dry and a little too crunchy."  Thankfully, I had a secret weapon....pre-made Fresh & Easy Cilantro Dressing that Alexa classified as ranch dressing.  The dressing earned rave reviews from the judge, as she declared, "The ranch dressing pulls everything together and is very yummy.  It's nice, creamy and delicious."  I really couldn't believe those descriptions were coming out of the mouth of a four year-old; she was perfectly mimicking a food critic.

I'm guessing it was the cilantro dressing won over the judge's palate, as I did not hear the dreaded "pack your knives and go" but rather she declared Chef Elizabeth the winner!!  As my reward, she told me, "For just this one time, I will let you turn on the tv to the Cardinals game during dinner."  We have a very strict rule of no computer nor television during meals at the Hovannisian house, so my reward was a pretty big deal.  

We turned on the television in time to see Alexa's favorite player Yadier Molina hit a double and drive in a run.  Double the win - - Cardinals AND Chef Elizabeth!  

The normal chef became a critic tonight :)

1 comment:

  1. What a trip! I am glad to know that she enjoys the Food Network Station at much as I do. You go girl! Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete