Yesterday, the Sunday mass at the Armenian church in Yettem (outside of Visalia) included a special intention for the one-year anniversary of the passing of Damon's grandmother, who passed away last August. As we drove to the church yesterday morning, I couldn't help but think about bringing Granty, strapped to me in the Baby Bjorn, to her funeral. The priest mentioned Granty in the memorial, and just hearing "Grant Vartkes Hovannisian" brought me to tears. Alexa saw I was upset (something I tried in vain to hide from her), and she sweetly tried to wipe the tears off my face and stroked the back of my hair. Thankfully, my sister-in-law Gia saw what a mess I was, and she quickly shifted seats and Alexa became distracted by her cousin Luke. What a month of raw emotions!
After the emotionally draining day yesterday, Damon and I went to the cemetery this morning to pay tribute to our little boy. His headstone is not yet complete, as a lot of the etching is done by hand, but it was still a surreal experience. Nevertheless, his plot is clearly identified, and it was clear frequent visitors have ensured his site is well-maintained. Damon and I laid some fresh flowers and said hello to our baby boy, knowing he's in a better place - no doctors' appointments, no chemo, no lifelong concerns about vision, brain function, etc.... As painful as it is for us, Damon and I both commented that we are relieved he did not endure a life of suffering. The visit today was emotional but it provided some comfort in the ongoing grieving process.
![]() |
| Forever my baby boy..... |

How strong both of you are, but knowing that he is not suffering brings comfort to us all. Love Joanne
ReplyDeleteI know it was a difficult day for both of you on Sunday. While in church, I read about the significance of the Armenian ceremony, Hoki Honkist. I learned that we are praying for our loved ones to continue to rest in peace. As you and Damon discussed, Granty is free of chemo, IV's shots, and medications. I promise that each day will get easier, and that doesn't mean that Granty's memory will not be with you. It will be 35 years in October, that we lost our baby. We didn't visit the cemetery a lot then, as it was so very sad. As time went by, our only solace was to think that our little guy is also resting in heaven. There are so many loved ones looking after Granty. Your Niehoff Grandparents, Grandma Jessie, Grandma Siroon, and cousin Bruce Jr. Your little angel is resting, and that in itself is a blessing. Your little "champ" will be with you each day. We loved visiting with the three of you. Madi can't wait to dance with her blonde cousin again! Love, Aunty Gail
ReplyDelete