September is officially Childhood Cancer Awareness month, something to which I was oblivious until last year. What a difference one year makes. It's unfortunate that it took such a major life event to make me aware of the prevalence of this horrible disease. Some of the statistics are mind-boggling, and it's still tough to fathom that Granty has become part of these figures:
- An estimated 12,400 children in the US are diagnosed with cancer each year.
- Brain and central nervous system cancers are the second most common form of pediatric cancer, comprising 25% of childhood cancers.
- In the past 20 years, the FDA has approved only one new cancer drug specifically for pediatric cancers.
Unfortunately I was not well-organized this year, but I found a really cute program that I need to investigate with Alexa's school next year - - PJammin for kids with cancer (https://www.acco.org/PJammin.aspx). For a $1 contribution, kids are able to wear pajamas to school. Given Alexa's excitement with past pajama days at school, I think this would be an easy event around which to garner some excitement. In the meantime, I will be sporting gold throughout the month....quite a challenge for me since I am very partial to silver ;) Even a simple gold ribbon can help to spread the word and hopefully make a difference.
Damon and I would never wish our nightmare upon anyone, and even though it's too late for Granty, we continue to hope for a cure so that no one ever has to experience what we did.

Why stop at Alexa's school? I think you should do Pjammin' at your work, too!
ReplyDelete