Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Bad Timing

In everyone's life, there are moments when you just have to shake your head and say, "Really!?"  Unfortunately my "Really!?" moment came after a very long day during an especially tough time of the year.

Tonight when I grabbed the mail after Alexa and I came home from swimming lessons, I had a bad feeling when I saw an envelope from Phoenix Children's Hospital - Physician Revenue Cycle.  During the past two months, Damon and I have discovered that our insurance company and PCH are not on the same page with monies owed (we obviously met our deductible last year), so it appears that I will have to function as the middle man to provide the explanation of benefits to settle this remaining $5k balance.  Ugh - - I can only take consolation in the fact that we will not owe anything.  I can manage the financial aspect without a problem, as I did become the queen of EOB's and medical billings over the past year, but the content of this envelope was a harsh reality check for me tonight.  

The mailing contained only four pieces of paper, but each sheet was simply a list of medical service codes, descriptions and charges for Grant's final stay in the PICU.  Each sheet had 42 lines of codes detailing the services Grant received....seeing the 160+ lines detailing what Granty endured in his final nine days of life is a very tough pill to swallow.  Every test, pharmaceutical dispensed and procedure is detailed, serving as a way too vivid reminder of that last week.  It's hard not to get sad when you realize everything that my little guy went though, but at the same time, I'm reminded of what a trooper and a fighter we was.  He personified perseverance.

At least United Healthcare opens at 5am PT tomorrow - - I'm hopeful that I can have everything resolved by 9am...once and for all!  

My consummate trooper....a fighter to the end.

2 comments:

  1. That's awful to have to deal with insurance disputes. Times like this when you wish you had a secretary....
    Hang in and lots if love your way. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to post a comment before but don't think it did, but if so sorry for the repeat.

    I was lucky enough to be Grant's nurse for two nights. I would love to share with you how he has touched my life. If you would like to hear so, my email is brooke_and_cody@hotmail.com

    Blessings,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete