I was on the treadmill tonight and found myself staring at the poster-sized picture of Granty that hangs nearby; his absence hit me like a ton of bricks. The picture [the one of Granty in his monkey bouncer wearing his Cardinals bib and onesie] has always been one of my favorites - it captures the sparkle in his eye and joyous spirit. Granty had such a vivacious personality, and I miss those grins he used to shoot my direction every time he heard my voice or saw me enter the room. Even though nearly eleven months have passed, I continue to miss my boy each and every day....there's a void in my heart that will never be filled. I'd give anything to have my baby boy back.
As I began packing for our upcoming trip, I pulled a laundry basket from my closet that held a lot of my "winter" (per Arizona standards) clothes. Buried in the bottom of the basket, I found one of Granty's onesies and couldn't hold back my tears, triggering a chain reaction from Damon. The onesie was an emergency purchase from a day that Damon had taken Grant to the restaurant with him and forgotten to pack a spare outfit in the diaper bag. Thank goodness he works near Fashion Square, because a hostess was able to run to BabyGap and pick up a newborn-size onesie (he was probably eight-weeks old). As I pulled the onesie out of the basket, it was dual reminder of how tiny our little guy was and also the vivid memories we have of so many moments of his life. Who knew a Gap onesie could trigger such sentiment?
Here's hoping tomorrow is a better day...for the Cardinals too!
| Sporting the Gap onesie I found in the laundry basket.... There's no denying the love between these two kiddos! |
That was me! You could not imagine my pride to go pick out a little onesie for Granty. Everyone loved him, we miss him and I continue to read your blog weekly. Your displays of strength and honesty during your whole experience inspires me and I'm beyond grateful for your shared stories. Giraffes have been my favorite animal since I was little and now they have even more meaning. I also love keeping up with Alexa, she cracks me up.
ReplyDeletexoxo,
Jessica