As I unpacked Alexa's lunchbag today, we had our normal nightly discussion about her day at school, the lessons she completed and books she read. She also gave me the rundown on the social scene in Ms. LeAnna's class, letting me know with whom she ate lunch and played during recess. Tonight, she decided to turn the tables on me, asking me about my day at work and whether I completed any "challenging work" (a reference to the more difficult activities at her Montessori school). I don't think she was too impressed when I provided her with a recap of my day, as she described my conference calls and meetings as "boring!" Uninterested by my workday, she decided to take a different approach and ask about my lunch....little did I know that the conversation would spark controversy with Alexa.
"What friends did you eat lunch with today, Mommy?" I explained to Alexa that I don't usually take a break for lunch and work in my office while I eat. She responded incredulously, "By yourself!?" I reminded her that I have to pick her up from school by 6pm each night, so I work through lunch to make sure I can get all of my work done. "That's so sad, Mommy. I eat lunch with my friends at school every day." Great....my four year-old thinks I'm pathetic. Something tells me I'm going to hear this a lot more from a teenage Alexa.
I redeemed myself slightly when I told her I ate my one sweet for the day at lunch (sweets aren't allowed at her school), as she was impressed that sweets are allowed at my office. Whew - at least there's still hope for me!
 |
| Always up for social eating! |
No comments:
Post a Comment