Thursday, October 17, 2013

Spoiled

As January approaches (and my bump seems to grow daily), the reality of another baby is starting to sink in for Damon and myself.  Baby #3 will never ever replace our beloved Granty, but we are becoming excited about the joy this little girl will bring to our family.  Alexa especially will benefit with our newest addition, as she enjoyed the big sibling role with Granty, and now that she's older, I am sure she will cherish the role even more.  Alexa is definitely not cut out to be a pseudo-only child....

Tonight I was making a stir-fry noodle dish for dinner, and Alexa of course was in the kitchen, monitoring my every move.  She peered into the wok as the meal cooked to ensure everything was to her liking, and she gasped in horror as she saw red peppers in the vegetable mix.  Much to my dismay, the little girl who used to try everything has slowly become a picky eater over the past year or so.  I'm convinced it's purely a mental/visual aversion, and I'm still trying to figure out how to work through it with her.

I tried the "you used to eat them" tactic tonight, reminding Alexa she used to sample foods at her NJ Montessori school (her toddler classroom had daily food tastings) and has eaten peppers many times.  She begrudgingly put a pepper in her mouth and spit it out within two seconds - Alstott hastily grabbed the rejected pepper from the floor, so at least it didn't go to waste.  Alexa noticed my frustration and tried to explain her food aversion, "I used to try foods before, but now I'm spoiled so I don't anymore."  Oy...we've got a big problem if Alexa's classifying herself as spoiled.

Yep - it's definitely time for Alexa to have another sibling and break out of the only child mode to which she's become accustomed during the past 11-months.  It might be a little bit of a shock when she realizes that she has to share the spotlight and my attention each night.  Something tells me she won't be referring to herself as spoiled eight months from now :)

The crib will be a little tighter squeeze for Alexa this time around....

No comments:

Post a Comment