Sunday, December 22, 2013

A Big Step

Today I finally began the task I've been dreading....I began to convert Grant's bedroom for the new baby.  Initially I was planning to wait until Damon and Alexa are in Fresno for Christmas, but I thought-twice about that decision, as I was worried that doing it solo during the holidays could make it an even more difficult and emotional task.  I'm not even close to being done, but I was relieved to make the initial step today...this was a huge hurdle for me to overcome.

Alexa was in the playroom, on the other side of the house, and Alstott was snoozing on the couch when I first entered Grant's room.  However, within twenty seconds of me opening the door, both of them were suddenly at my side.  It was an odd sensation - - a rebirth of sorts, as Alexa opened the door to the Jack-and-Jill bathroom separating her bedroom and the baby's room - excited to be so close.  It was the first time in over a year that the door between their rooms was open, but by gauging Alexa's reaction, I could tell it was a very welcome change.

It was a huge comfort to have Alexa and Alstott in the room as I began to pack Grant's clothing and bedding.  Alstott curled up on the rain forest mat, where Granty spent a lot of tummy time, and Alexa played with Grant's stuffed animals.  They were both on their best behavior, as if they knew the significance of being in the room.

I am not ready to put Grant's items in the garage with the rest of our storage items, so I cleared out some space in the built-ins in the master bedroom for storing his clothes and bedding.  I never realized how many clothes that little guy had - many that he never wore.  I remember my brother commenting about Grant's extensive collection of St. Louis Cardinals clothes, and I had to smile as I realized that Grant's collection was far-more expansive than I ever realized....hoodies, onesies, caps, etc.  My brother would be proud (and jealous!)....

It's a tough mental change to transition the space from Grant's bedroom to Baby #3's room.  A part of me wants to leave Granty-esque elements in there as a tribute to him, but I have to remind myself that this is the new baby's room and not a memorial to Grant.  Over time I think this will become easier, especially when we finally meet the newest arrival in January.

One element that will remain in the room....a wooden "G" on the wall.  It's a perfect reminder and subtle tribute to our little guy.

Many good times were had in Granty's room....
and I'm sure we will have many more.

1 comment:

  1. I cannot imagine how difficult a task this is but knowing the strength you have you will make it work, You are in our thoughts and prayers at this time of the year and always. Love Mike & Joanne

    ReplyDelete