Sunday, December 1, 2013

Catch-Up

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Damon, Alexa and I enjoyed a great Thanksgiving at my sister's house in Milwaukee.  The frigid temperatures were a bit jarring (we were definitely not in Arizona), but thankfully we were able to spend most of the time indoors.  Alexa, however, seemed unaffected by the freezing temperatures and was ecstatic to see snow (maybe 1") on the ground.  She happily donned winter clothes, brought by my parents from St. Louis and borrowed from her cousins, and played outside until her cousins were ready to come back inside.  Her excitement over 1" of snow definitely reflects her upbringing in the desert!  She's been begging to learn how to ski, so I think a ski trip is a must-do this winter.

My sister and brother-in-law were quite the hosts, preparing an impressive Thanksgiving feast - with plenty of leftovers to enjoy on Friday.  I am dreading my Tuesday doctor's appointment this week....I am sure the scale will reflect my carbo-loading, not to mention the pieces of homemade pumpkin and apple pie that I enjoyed.  Terri and I did make it to the gym on Friday evening, but I don't think I did enough to offset the caloric damage ;)

The weekend festivities did not end when Alexa and I flew home late last night.  The Ritz-Carlton in Phoenix hosts a holiday Teddy Bear Tea, so Alexa and I enjoyed a holiday-themed tea party with our girlfriends.  This was our first time attending Teddy Bear Tea, and the event warrants making it an annual tradition.  Our group of ten (five moms and five daughters) enjoyed a great afternoon at this well-orchestrated event.  The girls enjoyed tiny ham and cheese and pb&j sandwiches, hot chocolate (or I should say mini-marshmallows with a dash of hot chocolate) and plenty of desserts (the 'one sweet a day' rule was abandoned today), while the moms partook in slightly more grown-up fare...although I did have to pass on the unlimited champagne today.  The event was highlighted by an appearance of a life-sized teddy bear, parade through the lobby and a story read by the party's host.  Alexa was happy to take home the teddy bear of her choice, although the long weekend and lack of sleep seemed to catch up with her on the drive home.  I was glad she made it through the tea party, so I didn't mind dealing with a cranky girl for the rest of the afternoon.  

Something tells me the next few weeks will fly by, as we have a lot of holiday activities planned!

The snow bunny....happy to partake in some winter fun.
On our way to tea this afternoon....

No comments:

Post a Comment