Alexa and I headed over to Phoenix Children's Hospital later this afternoon to donate the toys that she and Gabriella had selected during our shopping trip last week, in lieu of exchanging gifts with each other. The toy donation site was adjacent to the hospital, but I knew the sight of PCH would help the idea of giving resonate with Alexa. Sure enough, as we saw the hospital in the distance, she exclaimed, "There's Granty's hospital - - I see the hand (a hand with a heart-shaped palm is the logo for PCH)!"
Alexa proudly carried the Target bag into the donation center, pulling out the giraffe toy to show the volunteers. As she loaded everything into a wagon, she declared, "These toys are from me and Gabriella, but she's in Buffalo now." As I filled out some paperwork, Alexa began to explore the shelves that were stocked full of toys, games, etc... It was like a Toys-R-Us on steroids, especially because all like-toys were sorted and shelved together. She shot me the puppy-dog (begging) eyes, and I reminded her that all of the toys were for the sick kids in the hospital. It suddenly hit her - - "When Granty was in the hospital, he got toys and I got toys too!" The Child Life department at PCH had been wonderful to Alexa, so I was glad to hear that she remembered it. After that, the puppy-dog eyes disappeared, and she was very satisfied to have donated the toys to the hospital. I foresee this being an annual tradition....
As we saw Phoenix Children's Hospital in the distance, it was tough not to get emotional. The time, emotions and experiences associated with PCH represent the most significant events of my life. As we drove past, I quickly identified his two PICU rooms on the sixth-floor (his Oncology room was facing the other direction) and said a little prayer. Damon and I need to plan a separate trip back to PCH to visit - the medical team there (I think I can still name all of the doctors, residents and nurses) became entwined in our lives and touched both of us in a way we will never forget.
| Unloading the toys at the donation center... (tribute to Uncle Steve & Waste Mgmt in the background - lol) |
Alexa, Mike and I also contributed through our church to a family in need and it always lifts my heart to see others doing the same. We are very proud of you! Love, Mike & Joanne
ReplyDelete