Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Dose of Reality

Getting past November 25th was a huge hurdle, but the upcoming holiday reiterates Granty's absence.  It's impossible not to miss the little guy.

Today my father-in-law went to view the headstone before it is laid into the ground.  As eager as we have been to get Granty's headstone in-place at the cemetery, when he texted the picture of it this afternoon, I couldn't help but breakdown.  It was a good thing I was working from home today (fetal monitoring and doctor's appointment this afternoon), as no one except the dog had to witness my cry-fest.  Seeing the images of the headstone provided a crushing blow of reality and an odd sense of finality.  It seems intrinsically wrong to see a headstone for a child, much less one adorned with a picture of my son.  However, I think both Damon and I will take resolve in knowing that he finally has a proper monument and resting place.

I know Alexa will be thrilled to see Granty's headstone when she and Damon visit the cemetery on Christmas.  It's like a blank canvas for her carefully selected dollar store decorations... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment