I have always been one of those people who never searches for the 'dream spot' in a parking lot - I usually park wherever is convenient and have no issue with a few extra yards of walking to get into the store. Between the crowds and on-site Christmas tree lot, the Home Depot parking lot was pretty full this afternoon, so I parked on the site of the store by the garden center. As I got out of the car, I noticed two people sitting in the car next to us, but didn't think much of it was I walked around to the passenger side to get Alexa from her car seat. Suddenly, I heard the alarm on the store's emergency exit blaring, and a man was dashing our direction with his arms full of tools. I made Alexa get back into the car, and I watched as the car next to us - apparently the getaway car - peeled off. Holy cow! Thankfully I was able to get the license plate number, so Alexa and I found ourselves in the offices of Home Depot as I wrote down the description of the car, stolen merchandise and perpetrators for the manager and police. No success with a tree (looks like Alexa will get a real tree this year!), but at least we did our good deed for the day and Alexa learned a pretty valuable lesson.
Alexa was incredulous that someone would steal something - I think this was her first realization that not all people are "good." I must have answered fifteen questions over the course of the day about why someone would steal and whether our neighbors are good (I'm not sure why she honed in on our neighbors). One thing was certain in Alexa's mind - those three people are definitely getting coal from Santa!
| Proud of her good deed for the day.... no coal for Alexa this year! :) |
No comments:
Post a Comment