Thursday, December 19, 2013

Giraffes Can't Dance

The holidays are kicking into high gear for Alexa....today was the annual holiday party at her school, an event she's been awaiting since Thanksgiving.  The allure of wearing pajamas to school and decorating sugar cookies is tough to beat.  I am glad I will finally be able to stop answering the question of "How many days until the holiday party?"

Another component of the holiday party is the book exchange, something in which Alexa and I invested a lot of thought.  I encouraged her to pick one of her favorite books (last year was 'Purplicious') - a task that was much easier said than done.  She hemmed and hawed for days as she tried to decide what title we should buy to share with one of her friends.  I had to ix-nay 'The Night Before Christmas' - she seems to have forgotten about her desire to celebrate Hanukkah - but she finally made her decision.  She selected 'Giraffes Can't Dance', a wonderful book my friend Molly bought for Alexa last Christmas.  Needless to say, I was thrilled with her selection and immediately bought it from Amazon.com.

As we wrapped the book last night, Alexa grabbed the book and conducted a mock Show-and-Tell for me.   "This book is special to me because it reminds me of giraffes and my baby brother Granty.  He died but is still very special to me and always in my heart."  I couldn't have said it better myself.  I hope the friend who received the book enjoys it as much as we have. :)

If only she could wear pajamas every day......


1 comment: