I've learned Alexa is very intrigued by stories about my childhood, so during dinner on Sunday night, I was recalling incidents from my childhood to encourage her to eat her zucchini. She was captivated by some of the Niehoff rules - i.e. I had to eat one pea (or lima bean, brussel sprout, etc...) for each year I was old, I wasn't allowed to leave the table until I finished my meal, etc... As I relayed the stories to Alexa, I started to have flashbacks of some of the meals I used to despise. I distinctly remember a few meals that led to hours of standoff at the dinner table. Before I knew it, Damon and I were laughing hysterically, and I had to make two calls to my parents' house for verification of some of my recollections.
Damon was convinced I was making up recipes (probably thinking Alexa was rubbing off on me), but thank goodness for Google. As I explained the meals to him, supported by the back-up of Gene and Kathy (my parents), he began to Google the recipe names and was shocked at the search engine results. Sure enough, for every 'nightmare' dish I mentioned, Damon was able to find the recipe, coupled with pictures, on the Internet. He was incredulous at some of the Niehoff meals of the 80's - Chipped Beef on Toast, Tuna Noodle Casserole, Corned Beef Hash (canned!), Western Rice Skillet, and, Damon's personal favorite (based upon the name alone)....Turkey Divan. I think these must have been Midwest classics that never quite made it to California.
For the record, my mom no longer makes any of those meals; I'm convinced that she thought the recipes were as bad as I did but had to force us to eat them on principle alone. Needless to say, I don't think we'll be having a Chipped Beef on Toast night at the Hovannisian house anytime soon. :)
| Always up to the task in the kitchen.... |
No comments:
Post a Comment