Sunday, December 8, 2013

Limited Magic

I've quickly discovered one major downfall to my creativeness with Granty the Elf...Alexa is waking up earlier than ever simply to see where her elf sits and what mischief he's created.  This morning Alexa crept into my room around 5:45, excited to tell me that her elf had written "ALEXA" using the fake snow we had found in the box of Christmas decorations.  As much as I appreciate her enthusiasm, I think the elf is going to have to buy Alexa an alarm clock before the end of this holiday season....

As Alexa and I read "The Night Before Christmas" today, she began to ask about the celebration of Christmas in heaven.  Ooof...these are always tough conversations.  Alexa was very concerned about Santa's ability to get to heaven to bring toys to Granty.  Moreover, she was eager to find out if Santa gets to see Grant, because if he's able to see him, she assumed that Santa would be able to take us to see him.  I love her sense of logic and truly wish her ideas could come to fruition.  However, I had to let her know that Santa doesn't bring toys to heaven, but rather people in heaven celebrate in a different way.  I reminded her that decorating for Granty at the cemetery would be her special way to celebrate the holiday with her baby brother.

I could tell by the look on her face that my answer sufficed, but it was far from the answer she hoped to hear.  She did perk up when I reminded her that we will be shopping for toys that Granty would like and donating them in his memory to Phoenix Children's Hospital.  Sometimes retail therapy can do wonders....especially when it's for a good cause.

Fast asleep on the couch by 7pm....
flanked by a loyal (and equally tired) Alstott.

No comments:

Post a Comment