We have been talking for months about taking off her training wheels, and I was inspired by a friend's method to not even give her daughter the option of training wheels. Since Alexa has inherited my personality (and all of its flaws), I knew the "sink or swim" mentality would work with her. Sure enough, after she overcame her frustration that she didn't ride perfectly on the first try (she's definitely my daughter....a total perfectionist), the bike riding has gone extremely well. She has quickly gotten the hang of it and is able to ride up and down the street without any assistance. We need to perfect stopping [she tries to jump off instead of backpedaling] and steering [she has a tendency to go in the same direction as her eyes], but I am extremely proud that she is able to ride the bike without trainings wheels after just three practice sessions. Once I receive medical clearance, I'm looking forward to some nice bike rides with Alexa!
Alexa was extremely excited for swimming yesterday, as I had Ani in tow since Damon was at work. I didn't want to break it to Alexa that Ani wouldn't be able to watch her swim... I don't know if it was Ani's presence or an opportunity to show-off for her baby sister, but Alexa was extremely focused and was swimming with fierce determination. The backstroke has been her nemesis, but last night she swam it perfectly, even keeping in a straight line across the pool. When I saw the reaction on her coach's face, I knew he was going to be moving her up to the next level. Alexa was shocked to receive the ribbon at the end of class - it was a great surprise for her. She was beaming with pride at her accomplishment and couldn't wait to show off her ribbon to Ani and me. Ani did open one eye when Alexa shoved the ribbon in her face, which seemed to satisfy Alexa. The excitement of her swimming accomplishment was soon eclipsed by a Wendy's hamburger and junior Frosty for dinner. Go figure. :)
These past few days will be difficult to trump, but if anyone can it will be Alexa. Afterall, she does begin tennis lessons in April, and she's fully convinced that she is going to be just like Serena Williams on the court.
![]() |
| Proudly displaying her latest swimming ribbon.... onto learning the strokes and side-breathing! |
![]() |
| Ani wasn't too impressed at swimming; she slept the entire lesson. (Probably happy she was nowhere near the water!) |


No comments:
Post a Comment