Monday, August 19, 2013

Name Change

With the last name of Hovannisian, the process for naming your children is a little more difficult than what most people experience.  When Damon and I find out the gender of baby #3 next Tuesday, I am sure we will have five long months of trying to determine the "perfect" name for the newest addition to our family.

I have always found it ironic that Damon has preferred Armenian middle names for our kiddos (Alexa Siroon and Grant Vartkes), as he was not a fan of his Armenian middle name when I first met him at Purdue.  I think it took at least two years before Damon revealed that the V-initial in his name referred to his middle name of Vartkes.  It was somewhat ironic that a guy who was not a fan of his ethic middle name well-into his twenties wanted to use the same naming tradition for his own children.

Once again, the apple does not fall far from the tree, as when Alexa and I were driving this weekend, she denounced her middle name and declared her new middle name to be Elizabeth (she is really obsessed with the name!).   I reminded Alexa that her middle name had a lot of meaning behind it, since it was the name of her great grandmother and also a tribute to her Armenian heritage just like Daddy.  She wasn't having any of it...in her mind, her middle name has been changed to Elizabeth.

I won't push it for now...I'm sure she'll come around in her twenties just like Damon did!

Not feeling the love for her Armenian name,
but at least she still loves her Armenian daddy.

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on all the blogs, as this week has been rough. I always feel so much better after catching on the the daily goings on in Arizona. Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete