Damon and I both woke up this morning, immediately recognizing it was yet another 25th of a month. Damon commented that he couldn't believe it's already been nine months, feeling like everything happened much more recently. I, on the other hand, can remember every moment very vividly, but I feel like it has been ages since Granty was with with us.
Last Sunday at the zoo profoundly affected me; it was gut-wrenching to watch Alexa experience the same emotions I have felt over the past year. As a result, Granty was constantly on my mind this past week, and his absence was more noticeable than ever. There were so many moments when Alexa did something silly, and I could just picture Granty hooting and hollering at his silly big sister. We did our best to honor and remember him thought. It wasn't a coincidence that Alexa sported giraffe-themed apparel several days this week.
Adding to the emotion of the week, Damon and I finally decided upon the headstone design for our little boy. Talk about a gut-wrenching process! I had intentionally deferred this process as long as possible; it seems so backwards and misguided to select a headstone for your child. However, I think we have created a design that captures the essence of our amazing little boy, as it includes a picture of his smiling face, and, of course, a giraffe. It wouldn't have seemed 100-percent Granty without the giraffe that became his personal mascot.
I will never be able to understand nor explain the "why's" of what happened, but I can take solace in knowing I have a better life and am a better person because of the time I spent with Granty.
| The picture that will adorn his headstone - a tough but smiley little boy. |
I myself realized it has been nine months and my thoughts were with all of you. How great it was that you could spend the day together. Thoughts and prayers are always with your family. Love, Joanne
ReplyDeleteAll my love and hugs!!
ReplyDelete