Saturday, August 17, 2013

Parallel Perfomance

With Damon out of town, Alexa and I had a pretty typical Saturday on another sweltering day in Arizona.  Alexa has moved up to the next level at gymnastics (she's in the 5-6 year-old class!), so swimming is no longer on our Saturday agenda.  However, we did get a couple of hours in the pool this afternoon, racing from one end of the pool to another.

After swimming and dinner tonight, Alexa and I settled on the couch together to watch the US Gymnastics Championships.  It was funny to listen to Alexa's commentary on the performances, as her critiques also included feedback on the girls' leotards.  As you would expect, there was no shortage of rhinestones, and the flashier ones definitely ranked high through the eyes of this four year-old.  I think she gave me a list of at least three leotards she wants me to put on her Christmas list this year....I should invest in a Be-Dazzler.  lol

By about the second rotation, Alexa could no longer contain herself, and she began to perform alongside the girls on television.  I had to smile to myself, as I remembered doing exactly the same thing when I was a young aspiring gymnast.  When she did a round-off on the travertine floor, I realized it was time to bring her mat into the living room to avoid any catastrophic injuries.  She danced, pranced and tumbled alongside the girls, although she was dismayed that she couldn't do all of the skills of the elite gymnasts.  In time, kiddo...  The mock routines, coupled with the busy day of gymnastics, shopping and swimming, wore her out, as she fell asleep curled up on her tumbling mat.

It's a good thing I dvr'ed the competition tonight...it may be a useful tactic to help burn off some of her boundless energy.  Anytime she's asleep before 8:30pm is a good night for me!

Trying to convince me to buy a blinged-out fedora at Target
(she wasn't successful...although it did look cute on her!).

2 comments:

  1. love that hat & I cant believe you didn't buy it..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot believe you didn't get the hat. Absolutely love it, especially on your little cutie. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete