Thursday, July 4, 2013

A Great Holiday

Happy 4th of July!

Although Damon had to work today, I was able to take the day off and spend it with Alexa.  We attended a barbecue/pool party at a friend's house late this afternoon, but Alexa wanted nothing to do with fireworks.  She told me they're too loud, and she only likes the fireworks when the Cardinals hit home runs.  Perfect - - unlike most cities, firework displays are extremely few and far between in the Phoenix area, so her disinterest in fireworks saved me from having to find a show.  Today definitely wore her out, as she fell asleep on me before 8pm tonight - well-before any fireworks shows would have started.

It was cute to see Alexa's expression this morning when she realized that I was taking the entire day off work.  She was ecstatic to know that I wasn't doing any work-related things today, allowing her to have me at her complete disposal all day.  Normally, I'm always checking e-mail or doing some sort of spreadsheet when I'm home during the day.  Instead, the two of us made Rice Krispie treats for the party, using a star-shaped cookie cutter and red & blue sprinkles to make them more appropriate for the holiday.  In addition to our dessert, we spent the rest of our time playing dress-up, "volleyball" with balloons and even watched a portion of "101 Dalmatians." It truly was quality time with my "not so little" girl.

Today's cooking experiment....

No comments:

Post a Comment