Thursday, July 11, 2013

Tearful Manipulation

Tonight was Alexa's first official swimming lesson as a Star, and I was a little nervous because her normal Thursday night coach, Devin, had no availability in her Stars classes, so we were forced to switch coaches.  Alexa was very anxious about this change, as she absolutely loves Devin, but I convinced her the new coach was Devin's BFF, an idea that seemed to make the prospect of a new coach much less nerve-racking.

Well....things did not exactly go as planned.  I'm not sure if there was a coaching change or if they initially took Alexa to the wrong coach, but she was unexpectedly placed with a guy coach, and she immediately broke down crying.  Devin was in the next lane over (I think she was just as sad that Alexa was no longer her student), and Alexa was reaching for her for dear life.  The manager took pity on the sobbing Alexa, and she took her into Devin's lane to say "Hi."  Rather than send her back with the guy coach, Alexa somehow managed to use her tears to get a private lesson with another coach (female) who happened to be available.  Somehow Alexa was able to manipulate the situation, whether it be conscious or just pure luck, and move from a teary group lesson to a happy private lesson.  Go figure.  I'm just glad she didn't revert back to the lessons of old!

We did talk to Coach Devin afterwards, and we let her know we are on the wait list for her Wednesday Stars class.  Thankfully her Saturday lesson should be drama-free, as she's signed up with her current Saturday coach (Steven), just at a different time.

Thankfully we did not have a repeat of a lesson like this; what a nightmare!

No comments:

Post a Comment