Monday, July 1, 2013

Pudding Pop Revival

I don't know if it's the stifling heat or spending all day with a rambunctious four year-old, but I have crashed two nights this week without first updating the blog.  Oy!  I'm making a conscious effort to resume my daily postings, as this blog is one of my personal continuances of his spirit and legacy.

While I was at the grocery store before I picked up Alexa tonight, I felt a tug on my handbag as I reached for bananas in the produce section.  I turned around and I saw a little boy cooing at me from the seat of his mother's shopping cart.  He started giggling as soon as I acknowledged him, and I felt an instant pang of sadness.  Even before his mother told me, I knew that he was between twelve and fourteen month-old.  Yep - - when I commented what a cutie he was, his mom responded that he's a thirteen month-old ball of energy.  Moments like these are so bittersweet; I love to envision what Granty would be like today but seeing a little guy his age reinforces what I'm missing.

One good thing about the sweltering temperatures is that the time at home has forced me to become more domesticated as I search for indoor projects for Alexa to do.  On Saturday, Alexa and I made a recipe I found in People magazine for crinkle cookies (I knew them as chocolate pixies); these were a definite hit with Alexa and Damon.  Even more impressive (for someone with my kitchen acumen), I searched on the Internet for a recipe for Pudding Pops (like the ones Jell-O made in the 1980's), and Alexa and I made a batch of pudding pops tonight.  We'll find out tomorrow if they're just as good as the ones I remember.  The recipe was simple: instant pudding, milk and Cool Whip; let's hope they turn out!  We might have a new summer go-to dessert if this recipe works.

The domestication is very limited though....after Alexa and I put the pudding pops for set in the freezer, I pulled out the ready-made rotisserie chicken I bought at the grocery store.  :)

Geeked to be making another thing in the kitchen;
two recipes in as many days.
Busted!  Caught sampling the pudding pop mix.

1 comment:

  1. They look yummy. I have made Ice Pops for the kids a while back and they were pretty good but the pudding pops when I was young were the best, but I don't remember the Cool Whip in them. Love Joanne

    ReplyDelete