Friday, July 5, 2013

Educational Snacking

During the past few months, Alexa has definitely endured her fair share of my subtle (and not so subtle) tactics to promote her interest in phonics and numbers.  A few weeks ago, I happened to be shopping at Safeway and saw what I thought was the greatest dual-purpose item....Scrabble Junior Cheez-Its.  Essentially they are simply normal Cheez-It crackers with a letter inscribed on one side, but I was more than happy to pay a premium to buy this educational snack.  I was so proud of myself and thought I had discovered the best snack ever (not the best in the nutrition department, but I was willing to overlook that.)

Initially, Alexa loved the Scrabble Cheez-Its, but after a few snack times in which she had to say the sound of the letter on the cracker before she could eat it, she was over it.  I knew I had turned her off when she opted for raisins instead of Cheez-Its for an afternoon snack.  Point taken.  I don't think I have ever had a "special treat" sit on the pantry shelf as long as these dang Scrabble Cheez-Its.

I don't know if it was the three-week break from the academic snack or if Alexa was simply tired of nectarines and plums, but this afternoon Alexa asked me if she could have a bowl of the Cheez-Its.  I was overjoyed, but I made sure to downplay it so Alexa wouldn't feel like the alphabet was being forced upon her.  Even though the crackers featured upper case letters (she's learning lower case), I was beaming as she began to properly identify each of the letters in her bowl of about fifteen crackers. 

I know it's the Summer Program at her school and not my multi-functioning snack that's prompting her learning.  Nevertheless, I was very proud to eek out a short phonics lesson at snack time, and Alexa was just as proud of her newfound academic prowess.  There's still a half of box of these Cheez-Its to go....:)

Showing off the "X" Cheez-It....one of the "easy" ones.




2 comments:

  1. Alexa needs to be in my Kinder class!!! She'll be the most advanced student of all!!!
    Nikki Pellegrino

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connie, finally was able to catch up on all of the blogs and it always brings a smile to my face. My thoughts were with you on the 3rd of this month even more than always. Alexa is an unbelievable child, you and Damon have so much to be proud of in that little (?) one. All our love, Mike and Joanne

    ReplyDelete