Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Fantastic News!

Damon and I are very excited to announce that we are expecting Baby Hovey #3!  I am 14-weeks pregnant, so my due date is estimated around January 24th.

Needless to say, we are thrilled by the pregnancy, but we have definitely been more thorough and cautious with this pregnancy than we were for the first two.  It was torture for Damon not to tell anyone, but I wanted to make sure we made it through the first trimester without any complications before revealing the good news.  The desire for a healthy baby has taken on an entirely new meaning after the ordeals of the past year.

I did contact Grant's neuro-oncology team a month ago to inquire about potential screenings for brain tumors, and the Chief of Neuro-oncology at PCH assured me that Grant's type of tumor (astrocytoma) has no genetic markers nor instances of family clusters.  He was very excited for us and very confident that we will have a healthy baby.  The perinatal specialist I saw last week also reiterated these assurances and explained the cancerous tissues were likely in-utero with Grant but it was unlikely that they were in a tumor state...meaning no ultrasound would have ever detected his brain tumor.  All first trimester tests came back with good results, so we're keeping our fingers crossed!

We broke the news to Alexa tonight (I was surprised that she hadn't noticed my growing stomach..she's a tough critic!), and she was excited but also demonstrated the same level of cautiousness Damon and I have had.  It was tough, although not unexpected, to hear the question, "Is this baby going to die too?"  However, after some reassurances, she seemed genuinely happy to have another sibling....she's pulling for a baby girl this time.  She really wants to name her "Elizabeth."  :)

We'll have to wait until probably September to find out the gender, but I think Alexa would be overjoyed with either a brother or sister.  I think the tough part for her is going to be waiting until January!

Hovey #3....a first photo (~10 weeks)
(Head is on the right and the right arm is visible.)


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOORAY! We are so excited for you! I, too, like the name Elizabeth. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine Winkeler MannerJuly 25, 2013 at 5:48 AM

    Congratulations to you all! How exciting and what a huge blessing! We will continue to pray for your family and a healthy baby too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! What exciting news. Prayers of health for you and Baby #3; I'm sure your precious guardian angel is keeping an eye on you both! Lauri

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are thrilled for you all! I couldn't wait to share with the boys at breakfast this morning that Alexa is going to have a new baby brother or sister soon. Ben looked over to Grant's birth announcement on the fridge, he reminds us daily to say our prayers to be thankful, and said simply "Thank You Grant". I asked Ben why he said thank you to Grant, he sat for a while and said "because his mommy's heart hurts without him but a new baby is a present he wanted to give her"... if he only knew. Dance and celebrate! We send our prayers for you daily.

    Love
    Erica, Kevin, Ben and Joey

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! We have been waiting to hear this glorious news! Dreams do come true...and our prayers have been answered with a growing baby Hovey. We hope you are feeling ok and that you are not to tired. What great news!!!! XOXO to all of you. P.S. Gail Hovannisian has a nice sound to it!!!!...

    ReplyDelete