Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Just Saying "Hi!"

As Alexa and I were driving home from school today, I was mindlessly flipping through the radio stations from the control on my steering wheel.  Suddenly, Alexa screamed, "STOP!!  Go back, Mommy!  Granty's saying "Hi" to us!"  Sure enough, when I went back a few stations, the song "Gone Gone Gone" was playing on the radio.  I have no idea how she heard it, but needless to say, I was impressed at her self-described "great listening skills" (I wish those skills were on display when I ask her to clean her room).

As the song wrapped up and she was able to belt out her favorite verse, "Like a drum, baby, don't stop beating," she looked at me with a pouty lip.  "I like hearing this song because it makes me think of Granty because this is his way to say "Hi" to me.  I just wish that I could play with him again...I really miss him."  Sweet and heartbreaking at the same time.  That little boy surely left an indelible impression on all of us.

On a separate follow-up, the pudding pops turned out well!  My brother Steve was razzing me today for using Cool Whip, but considering he used to can his own jams and jellies, I didn't take it to personally.  The Cool Whip actually helped to make the pops nice and creamy.  I knew they were a huge success when Alexa rated the homemade pudding pops even higher than the mini-Drumstick cones she loves.  Looks like we have a new summer sweet!

Finding ways to just say "hi."

1 comment: