Friday, July 19, 2013

Memory Evoking Memories

Today was Alexa's last day of summer camp, and her class was having a pajama party and a "bring your own game" party to celebrate.  Alexa had no trouble making the decision to wear her My Little Pony - Rainbow Dash - pajamas, but she was having a much tougher time deciding what game to bring.  After a few suggestions, she finally settled on one of her Memory matching games, deciding to bring the Sesame Street version to share with her friends.

The decision was made, but finding the game became the hard part.  Alexa appeared in the bathroom while I was getting ready, frantic that she could not find the Sesame Street Memory game.  I went into the playroom and searched through the shelves but had not luck finding the game.  Suddenly I realized where the game was - - she had last played it when Granty was in the hospital, and I remembered the Memory game was in Grant's room, in the bag of personal items we brought home from the hospital that fateful Sunday night in November.  Ugh.

Granty's room has remained virtually untouched over the past few months, so I planned to duck quickly into his room and grab the game.  As soon as I opened the door, both Alexa and Alstott rushed into his room too.  Alexa said, "I miss Granty" and immediately rushed to his rain forest playmat and turned on the lights and music.  Alsott was sniffing every where, as if he was looking for his little buddy.  The "crowd" rushing into his room made it evident how much Granty is missed, and even that quick minute in his room was gut-wrenching.  Damon and I know we will have to do something with his room at some point, but even eight-months later, it still seems too soon.

Enjoying some play time on his rain forest mat.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have had quite a week with your little Picasso, and her take on hospitals and then to top it off, Granty's room---my week is nothing in comparison to what you face each day. Such a strong person!!!!!!!!!!! Love, Joanne

    ReplyDelete