Sunday, July 7, 2013

Going Swimmingly

Although the temperature topped out around 110-degrees today, it was relatively overcast, making it seem a lot cooler than it has been in recent weeks.  Alexa and I took full advantage of the opportunity and spent two+ hours in the pool this afternoon.  It was the perfect opportunity for her to burn off some excess energy, as around 10 o'clock this morning she asked me if we could go hiking in the mountains.  Call me crazy, but I didn't think the weather presented the best situation for her first real hike.

Swimming with Alexa has actually become a relaxing activity for me....she's completely independent in the pool now.  As of yesterday, she has graduated to the next level at her swim school, meaning she will begin learning proper strokes.  Today, she wanted to show off the freestyle stroke that Coach Steven began teaching her yesterday.  She's definitely getting speedier in the water, and our races across the pool are now closer than ever.  Her swim skills even enable her to cheat during our races, as I felt her left hand shoving me and pushing me back while we raced to the fountain.  I still cannot believe that this is the same girl that wouldn't let go of her coach's neck as recently as three months ago....

As I was able to sit back, relax and watch my little swimmer, my mind began to drift to thoughts of Granty.  That little boy loved the water from his very first bath, something the broviac port in his chest later hindered.  I felt a sense of sadness as I thought about the pairs of swim trunks, with matching hats of course, sitting untouched in his armoire.  I can only imagine how much fun it would be to have him on an infant raft with his doting older sister swimming around him, showing off her newly found skills.  I don't think two+ hours in the pool would have been enough for either of those kiddos... :)

Taking a break from her freestyle swim...lounging with a pool noodle.

No comments:

Post a Comment