Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Turning the Tables

As Alexa and I sat down to dinner tonight, I expected to have one of our normal conversations discussing school, swimming, etc...  Rather, as I settled into my chair, Alexa looked at me and said, "So, Mommy.  Can you tell me anything you learned today?"  Needless to say, I was caught completely off-guard and I honestly couldn't think of a good response to her question.  I didn't think she would be too intrigued by forecasts, performance versus plan, gross margin....  Before I could concoct a good answer for her, she interrupted with, "Don't worry.  I will teach you something new, Mommy."

Sure enough...she decided to relay some of the stuff she's learned in summer camp, specifically the art-related information.  "Have you heard of Van Gogh?  He's an impressionist painter, and I saw a picture of what he looks like and his 'Starry Night' painting too.  His art is more like Monet's than Wassily Kandinsky's."  Pretty impressive for a four year-old; I know that I was not throwing out the names of artists when I was four.  I decided to interject a little bit of knowledge, but of course I couldn't recall anything from my Art Appreciation class during my undergrad years at Purdue, so I settled on the fact about Van Gogh cutting off his own ear.  Alexa's response?  "He sounds like he should have gone to Cuckoo Camp."  Interesting take, but probably pretty accurate. :)

I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's "learn something new" session.  I'll definitely be making a conscious effort to bring home some interesting facts from my workday tomorrow.

My little smarty-pants....I can't wait to teach her Finance.  lol

1 comment: